In the area around Trier the Romans founded several big enterprises. The villa in Otrang was a country estate with a manor house. There were already Roman settlers during the first century a. C.. The villa was enlarged several times. Finally it had 66 rooms and three baths with several floor-heating systems. During the migration of the peoples around 400 a. C. the manor house was destroyed. At the instigation of the later king Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia the rediscovered ruins were excavated in 1838. The uncovered remnants were secured in special protective houses - an early example of active preservation of historical monuments in Germany. Four of the rooms still have their wonderful mosaic floor. Worth seeing are, among others, depictions of animals: wild animals chasing their prey, ornamental arches, a crane eating a snake. Such a luxury was well comparable that of the high society living in the capital Rome.
(Text: Iris Ketterer, published with the kind permission of Schnell+Steiner Editions)
April 1st ? September 30th: 9 a.m. ? 6 p.m.
October 1st ? March 30th: 9 a.m. ? 5 p.m.
Closed in December and January.
Last admittance: 30 minutes before closure
Catering: restaurant on the site, closed in December, January and on the first working day of the week
Extras: In September Day of the National Heritage; Roman festival; exhibitions